Special forces unit taken away from Military Intelligence

Karel Hrubeš Karel Hrubeš, Ivan Eckhardt
27. 8. 2014 12:02
From January 1, 2015, Czech Republic's 601st special forces unit will answer to General Staff
Czech soldiers in Afghanistan
Czech soldiers in Afghanistan | Foto: Armáda ČR

Prague – From January 1, 2015, the Czech Republic's elite anti-terrorist special forces unit will answer to the General Staff. At present, the Prostejov-based 601st unit is under the supervision of the Military Intelligence (VZ) agency. The general staff will establish a special forces department headed by the 601st Special Forces Group's commander, Karel Rehka.

Experts: NATO, USA know exactly what happened to MH-17

Czech NATO soldier seriously injured in Afghanistan dies

The Defense Ministry has confirmed the change to Aktualne.cz. A ministry spokesman, Petr Medek, said that the military wants to improve the cooperation between the special forces unit and the military top brass. Medek added that the unit's combat capacities will not be negatively affected.

The VZ's reputation has suffered because of last year's Nagyova scandal. By losing control over the special forces unit, the agency will lose even more influence.

However, the move was already proposed in 2011, two years before the Nagyova scandal.

Investigation of graft scandal that toppled PM progresses

The 601st group is the Czech Republic's only special forces unit. It has been deployed to Afghanistan, Iraq, and former Yugoslavia and has earned praise from Western allies. The unit includes snipers, divers and bomb disposal experts.

Experts have criticized for a long time what they see as an excessive concentration of power in the hands of the VZ, whose management currently controls military spies as well as the 601st unit. Analysts say that this arrangement is a Soviet-era relic.

The move will improve experience sharing between the unit and the rest of the military, said military expert Frantisek Sulc, who believes that no intelligence agency should have its own assault units. “They may be tempted to abuse them and thus harm the state,” said Sulc.

Some experts have pointed out tough that the general staff does not understand the special character and training of the unit, whose qualities may thus deteriorate. Moreover, the unit will lose access to key intelligence, they say.

Follow us on Twitter!

 

Právě se děje

před 45 minutami

Inter nedokázal překonat Miranteho, s AS remizoval 0:0

Fotbalisté Interu Milán remizovali v 15. kole italské ligy s AS Řím 0:0 a v čele tabulky mají dvoubodový náskok před mistrovským Juventusem. Ten nastoupí proti Laziu v sobotu. Inter, soupeř pražské Slavie v Lize mistrů, bodoval v Serii A poosmé za sebou.

Inter měl převahu a řadu šancí, ale pokaždé narazil na brankáře hostů Antonia Miranteho. Šestatřicetiletý gólman v sedmé minutě nedovolil skórovat Romeluovi Lukakuovi, v závěru prvního poločasu Marcelo Brozovič římskou branku přestřelil. Mirante pak na začátku druhé půle zneškodnil i střelu Matíase Vecina, neprosadil se ani Lautaro Martínez.

Před zápasem vyvolal velké pozdvižení deník Corriere dello Sport, který dal na první straně k fotografiím hráčů tmavé pleti Chrise Smallinga z AS a Lukakua titulek "Black Friday". List byl obviněn z rasismu, jeho představitelé nicméně na tomto spojení nic špatného neshledali.

před 2 hodinami

Neznámí ozbrojenci v Bagdádu postříleli nejméně 15 lidí, 60 dalších zranili

Ozbrojenci v autech na bagdádském náměstí Chilání v pátek zastřelili nejméně 15 lidí včetně nejméně dvou policistů a 60 dalších zranili. Kdo za útokem stojí, zatím není jasné. S odvoláním na sdělení bezpečnostních složek a zdravotníků o tom informovala agentura AP.

Incident se stal v místě, kde se konají protesty. Lidé v panice začali před střelbou utíkat na nedaleké náměstí Tahrír a do blízkých mešit.

Střelba se odehrála ve chvíli, kdy demonstranti zablokovali tři důležité mosty v Bagdádu, které vedou k takzvané zelené zóně, kde sídlí vláda. Nejmenovaný demonstrant agentuře AP sdělil, že se protestující na mostě Sinak ocitli pod palbou a na místě jsou mrtví a zranění.

Zdroj: ČTK
před 2 hodinami

Fotbalisty Watfordu povede Pearson, bude třetím koučem v sezoně

Fotbalisty Watfordu povede ve zbytku sezony trenér Nigel Pearson, který se poslední celek tabulky pokusí zachránit v anglické lize. Na lavičce nahradí odvolaného španělského kouče Quiqueho Sáncheze Florese.

Šestapadesátiletý Pearson, bývalý trenér Leicesteru, bude už třetím koučem Watfordu v tomto ročníku. Mužstvo vstoupilo do ligy pod vedením Javiho Gracii, ten ale ve funkci vydržel jen do začátku září. Flores byl po špatných výsledcích odvolán v neděli.

Watford z patnácti ligových zápasů vyhrál jen jeden. Od udržení ho v současné době dělí sedm bodů.

Zdroj: ČTK
Další zprávy