MP receives death threat before key vote

CzechNews
22. 10. 2008 12:40
Former ČSSD MP links threatening letter to no-confidence vote held today

Prague - Former Social Democrat (ČSSD) MP Petr Wolf on Monday received an anonymous letter threatening him with death. Wolf has confirmed the information to Aktuálně.cz.

Wolf, who quit the ČSSD earlier this year citing disagreements over the US radar is convinced the letter was sent in connection to the no-confidence vote to be held today, 22 October.

"You raise your hand for Topol [PM Topolánek] and you won't live, bastard," reads the copy of the letter which has been obtained by Aktuálně.cz.

The MP said that his wife was the one who found the letter in the mail box and that his lawyer has already filed a legal complaint against an unknown perpetrator.

Wolf did not comment on how he will vote today - whether he will support the coalition, or help the ČSSD and the Communists topple the government.

"This goes beyond all limits. These are mafia-like practices. I don't want to accuse anybody though, I don't know who is behind this," Wolf told Aktuálně.cz.

Wolf received death threats in the past. When the parliament voted on agreements concerning the US radar base, he received a number of threatening messages on his mobile phone.

 

Právě se děje

před 2 hodinami

Polský prezident Duda řekl, že navrhne mírnější znění protipotratového zákona

Polský prezident Andrzej Duda navrhne parlamentu mírnější znění nového návrhu protipotratového zákona, který se má zpřísnit po verdiktu ústavního soudu. Ten rozhodl, že přerušení těhotenství v případě poškození plodu odporuje ústavě, podle Dudy by ale měly mít na interrupci právo ženy, jejichž nenarozené dítě má závažné vývojové vady.

Duda se snahou o mírnější postup v případě interrupcí odchýlil od stanoviska konzervativního vedení katolické země. Prezident chce prosadit, aby ženy mohly podstoupit potrat v případě, kdy lékařská vyšetření ukážou tak závažné poškození plodu, že by se dítě narodí mrtvé nebo zemře krátce po porodu. "Doufám, že v této věci nastane politický konsensus," uvedl Duda.

Minulý týden ústavní soud, složený převážně ze soudců nominovaných vládnoucí stranou Právo a spravedlnost (PiS), shledal, že přerušení těhotenství z důvodu poškození plodu odporuje ústavě. Na tyto případy podle statistik připadalo 98 procent legálních potratů v minulých letech. Povoleny zůstávají interrupce v případě ohrožení života či zdraví matky, anebo pokud je těhotenství důsledkem znásilnění či incestu.

Zdroj: ČTK
Další zprávy