In the aftermath of the D1 collapse

Aktuálně.cz national news reporters
25. 3. 2008 11:30
Facts of Thursday's accident and future decisions
Foto: Ondřej Besperát

Prague/Brno - The numerous multiple car accidents that blocked the D1 highway between Prague and Brno last Thursday were thankfully without fatalities, but enough damage was done.

According to the first estimates, over 160 vehicles were involved in incidents in both directions of the highway, with one pileup involving around 116 cars.

Read more: Breaking News: Major accidents on D1 due to blizzard

Totaling up

Authorities have estimated that around 20,000 people were trapped in the traffic jams in various places in the snowed-in Vysočina region, waiting for the roads to be cleared and opened. Recovery work continued until 3 a.m. on Wednesday, meaning over 14 hours of clean-up work.

Many passengers were stranded on the freezing road for hours
Many passengers were stranded on the freezing road for hours | Foto: Ludvík Hradilek

There were 30 people injured, with six having been hospitalized in serious condition. Most of the travelers who received light injuries were treated on site by ambulance workers.

Three people are still in serious condition - a Czech woman, a 53-year-old German man, and a 58-year-old man from Slovakia - and are currently at a hospital in Brno. "All three patients are in stable condition, but have sustained serious injuries, which require long-term hospitalization," told Aktuálně.cz hospital spokeswoman Anna Nesvadbová.

What happened that day

By the latest count, 189 cars were involved in 97 accidents recorded by the police. Accidents began occuring in the morning, prompted by snowfalls and icy road conditions.

Firefighters were able to clear one lane in the direction of Brno by 6 p.m. on Thursday evening. But since weather conditions did not improve, another accident occurred on the 127th kilometer.

Detour routes were also clogged up during the day on Thursday. Many cars and trucks chose to go through Jihlava. According to the spokesman of the Jihlava town hall Radek Tulis, because of the increased number of vehicles passing through, "going through Jihlava took twice as long as normally."

Firefighters, police officers, medical staff and car-towing services were on the D1 all day. "There were 15 ambulances and three helicopters working at the accident sites," said Lukáš Kettner, head of the rescue services in the Vysočina region.

Rescue workers were on the scene through the evening
Rescue workers were on the scene through the evening | Foto: Ludvík Hradilek

Czech railways made a public announcement during the day inviting travelers to take trains instead of driving.

Steps for the future

The stretch of the D1 highway between Prague and Brno has always been a problematic area.

Commissioner of the Vysočina region, Miloš Vystrčil, has been a long proponent of installing new electronic information boards, which according to him would markedly improve the situation.

There are a few older alert boards installed on the D1 already, but they are able to display only text, and not speed limit signs, for example. "They cannot show pictograms and foreigners do not understand them," stated Vystrčil.

Informační cedule na 89. km dálnice D1
Informační cedule na 89. km dálnice D1 | Foto: Ministerstvo dopravy ČR

He agrees that the new information system would not prevent massive accidents, like the one  that happened last Thursday, but "it would keep the roads passable for a longer period of time."

There are plans to set up 15 of the new boards already this year, according the Ministry of Transportation. And the same amount will go up next year.

Vystrčil sites the success of such technologically advanced displays in Croatia, hoping that last week's highway collapse would speed up the installation process.

 

Právě se děje

před 26 minutami

Jednání mezi EU a Británií stále váznou, budou pokračovat v neděli

Přes pokrok v řadě oblastí přetrvávají v jednáních mezi Evropskou unií a Británií neshody, které brání uzavření dohody o pobrexitových vztazích. Ve společném prohlášení po dnešním podvečerním telefonátu to uvedla předsedkyně Evropské komise Ursula von der Leyenová a britský premiér Boris Johnson. Šéfové vyjednávacích týmů po jednodenní přestávce opět zasednou k intenzivním rozhovorům v neděli v Bruselu.

Británie z Evropské unie odešla letos 31. ledna a na Silvestra skončí přechodné období určené k vyjednání dohody. Obě strany mají již větší část textu hotovou, uzavření smlouvy však stále brání spor o pravidla hospodářské soutěže, dohled nad řešením sporů a rybolovná práva v britských vodách.

před 1 hodinou

Nor Granerud vyhrál závod v Nižním Tagilu a vede SP skokanů

Norský skokan na lyžích Halvor Granerud vyhrál závod Světového poháru v Nižním Tagilu a po druhém triumfu v sezoně se dostal do čela průběžného pořadí seriálu. Ve vedení vystřídal vítěze úvodních dvou závodů Markuse Eisenbichlera, kterému v Rusku vůbec nevyšlo druhé kolo a z prvního místa se propadl na 28. příčku.

Až na stupně vítězů se naopak po pokaženém prvním kole prodral Nor Robert Johansson. Výkonem 142,5 m ve finále o metr překonal rekord můstku, který loni stanovil jeho krajan Johan Andre Forfang, a zlepšení o 22 metrů ho v konečném pořadí vyneslo z 25. na třetí příčku.

Čtyřiadvacetiletý Granerud předvedl vyrovnané pokusy 132,5 a 132 metrů a navázal na výhru v závěrečném závodě v Ruce. Druhý dnes skončil Rakušan Daniel Huber, jenž skočil 131 a 133 m a dokonale zastoupil kvůli koronaviru chybějící kolegy z reprezentačního áčka.

Devětadvacetiletý mistr světa Eisenbichler dnes první kolo suverénně ovládl a po skoku dlouhém 136,5 metru vedl před Granerudem o 11,1 bodu. Při finálovém pokusu ho ale rozhodil poryv větru hned za odrazovou hranou a Němec zapsal pouhých 80 metrů.

Čeští reprezentanti v Nižním Tagilu kvůli koronaviru nestartovali. Poté, co měl při předchozí zastávce v Ruce pozitivní test na covid-19 Filip Sakala, se celý tým zdržel ve Finsku v karanténě a nestihl přesun speciálem do Ruska. Po úterním přesunu domů se skokani chystají na mistrovství světa v letech na mamutím můstku ve slovinské Planici, které se uskuteční od 10. do 13. prosince.

Závod SP ve skocích na lyžích v Nižním Tagilu (Rusko):

1. Granerud (Nor.) 270,0 b. (132,5+132 m), 2. Huber (Rak.) 255,7 (131+133), 3. Johansson (Nor.) 254,1 (120,5+142,5), 4. Lackner (Rak.) 249,3 (128,5+131), 5. Paschke (Něm.) 241,6 (128+126,5), 6. Zniszczol (Pol.) 230,6 (131+122), 7. Klimov (Rus.) 230,5 (132+120,5), 8. J. Sato (Jap.) 230,2 (127,5+124), 9. Lanišek (Slovin.) 227,3 (125+123), 10. Schiffner (Rak.) 223,9 (124+123).

Průběžné pořadí SP (po 4 z 28 závodů): 1. Granerud 300, 2. Eisenbichler (Něm.) 283, 3. J. Sato 163, 4. Kubacki (Pol.) 144, 5. Geiger (Něm.) 141, 6. Huber 140.

Zdroj: ČTK
Další zprávy