Hepatitis outbreak in ČR: 50 new cases reported

CzechNews
25. 11. 2008 16:40
Health Ministry says it won´t be over until January 2009

Prague - The outbreak of hepatitis in the Czech Republic is not over yet. Only last week 50 more cases were diagnosed with hepatitis A.

Since the beginning of 2008, 1,383 cases of hepatitis A have been reported with Prague being the worst affected area. It is a tenfold increase compared to previous year.

The infected include young children of primary school and kindergarten age, as reported by the Health Ministry on Monday, November 24.

Although Chief Public Health Officer Michael Vít predicts that the outbreak will not be over before January 2009, the number of registered cases is slightly decreasing at the moment.

The outbreak first started among the intravenous drug-users and homeless people in Prague in the summertime but soon spread to the general public.

Massive demand for vaccination

In September the Prague Municipality launched a massive campaign that targetted those at highest risk. Hundreds of the homeless and drug-addicts were vaccinated then to prevent the disease from spreading within their social group.

The epidemic caused a massive increase in demand for vaccination among the Czech population. "We have never needed so many vaccines as this year," Vít said.

The panic was exploited by tricksters who offered paid vaccination online, under a name of an existing private company in Prague. The page www.antizloutenka.info offered overpriced vaccines that had to be paid in advance.

Weeks in hospital

Initially, a person infected with hepatitis A has flu-like symptoms - fever, fatigue, nausea, and abdominal pain. Some sufferers, particularly children, often show no symptoms at all.

The infected may also experience jaundice, a yellowing of the skin, which reflects in the Czech name of the disease - žloutenka - yellow disease.  

Those infected with hepatitis A have to be hospitalized for several weeks or even months. Every year about 10 million people worldwide are infected with the Hepatitis A virus.

 

Právě se děje

před 7 hodinami

Trump nařídil stáhnout většinu amerických vojáků ze Somálska

Americký prezident Donald Trump nařídil stáhnout většinu amerických vojáků ze Somálska, oznámil Pentagon. Spojené státy mají v této africké zemi zhruba 700 vojáků. Jejich úkolem je pomáhat místní armádě porazit radikály ze skupiny Šabáb, která je napojená na mezinárodní teroristickou síť Al-Káida. Misi v Somálsku se ve Spojených státech velké pozornosti nedostává, přestože je klíčovým pilířem globálních snah Pentagonu porazit Al-Káidu.

Možné důsledky stažení amerických vojáků ze Somálska se Pentagon podle agentury Reuters v prohlášení snaží zlehčit. Experti však dlouhodobě varují, že stažení těchto sil může vést k vážnému zhoršení bezpečnostní situace v africké zemi. Pentagon uvedl, že snížení počtu vojáků nepředstavuje změnu americké pozice. 

Rozhodnutí šéfa Bílého domu Reuters označil za součást širšího Trumpova záměru snížit počty amerických vojáků na zahraničních misích před tím, než v lednu 2021 opustí Bílý dům. Snížit se má také počet amerických vojáků v Iráku a Afghánistánu.

Další zprávy